From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Shane_Cessna@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, 21 May 2008 1:26 a.m.
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] HTML and PDF Reports

I completely agree with Brad on this one.

We've been down the WebFacing road...hated it...
We've been down the WebSphere road...hated it...
Now we're in CGIDEV2 and love it...so easy to use and understand...

It's nice to have a toolset that we can utilize where we can use our
existing knowledge of RPG with very little learning curve from html, css
and javascript.

Shane Cessna
Senior Programmer
North American Lighting, Inc.
217.465.6600 x7776

"Bradley V. Stone" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by:
web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/20/2008 08:15 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] HTML and PDF Reports

The fact of the matter is that if an RPG shop is
in tune with
technology (as Nathan is) then it can be realized there is very little

RPG
can't do.

Do you agree with that last paragraph Dave?

I don't think it's so much agreeing with it, but understanding RPG
really
has little to do with it. It's understanding the simplicity of
outputting
dynamic data (HTML, XML, JavaScript, etc) and then really knowing how to

use
it to it's fullest potential.

I mean, look at all the RPG CGI apps your or I have created. Mostly
using
CGIDEV2 or eRPG SDK. Down at the core you're looking at really a
handful
of
APIs used to write to standard output, or read from a web page. Quite
simple actually.

It's the understanding of how to use the markup language and it's tools
that
make a web application successful. I don't need a huge toolset to do
that.

The lifecycle of most of my customers usually goes like this:

1. They try a screenscraper/webfacing tool. Hate it.
2. They try Websphere or a similar tool. Hate it.
3. They contact me and say "show use what RPG can do".
4. 15 minutes later they're sold. Their programmers love it and start
hammering on the HTML, JavaScript and CSS tutorials all over the net
excited
about what they can do.

RPG is dead. Yes, we've been hearing that for years. *yawn*

Brad
www.bvstools.com