Nathan,

I figured a sample would help you visualize what I was talking about.

Actually, the HTML approach is on equal footing with everything else we have tossed around here, especially if the "designer" is more comfortable with HTML. I am biased because I like the way that Jasper supports so many output options out of the box. But if you are just concentrating on HTML and PDF, a simpler approach may be the most workable.

Under the covers, the Jasper Report is just XML if you look at the jrxml a designer like iReport generates. The RPG Report Generator API can take either a compiled report (.jasper extension) or an uncompiled report (.jrxml). I think it is "6 of one, half dozen of the other" when it comes to what the actual template/processing uses/generates as long as the API is simple (like Aaron said) and you have a designer tool that you have people experienced to use.

I'll be interested in what you finally decide as a solution. Keep us posted.

Pete

Nathan Andelin wrote:
Pete,

Your RPG interface is more clear to me now, and it's simple. You're not exporting procedures that position and draw boxes on the page or any of those kinds of details, for example. A simple call can be evoked from batch programs. The API looks good.

I'm just exploring the two paradigms. In one case the developer uses a WYSIWYG report and query definition tool and generates a complete report definition. In the other case, the a developer might use Dreamweaver to define the layout (an HTML template), then call RPG procedures to merge the template with data at runtime, and produce a stream file.

It seems to me that both paradigms have a potential use.

Nathan.