I'd say just about all non-i5 centric CIOs would say (unless they are old like me)... "RPG???, you mean Rocket Propelled Grenade?" Someone would say after they've looks it up... "No, RPG means Report Program Generator which is the language that most people use on that platform." And the CIO would say... "Heavens, we can't consider a platform like that as its primary language is non-standard in the industry, not many programmers know that language and is a dying platform because it uses that language. Most apps now days are coding in languages like (rattles off the list you all know but not once will RPG be in that list)."

IMO, RPG, therefore, is a lodestone around the neck of the i5 and needs to be replaced or masked as fast as possible with a language most non-i5 CIOs understand and for which he/she can find people.

Dave

"Armbruster, Tom" <Tom.Armbruster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/14/2008 16:13 >>>
Now, let's not turn this into a "my language is bigger than your language" argument, although I agree it would be interesting. :-)

ASP.NET IS best suited for Microsoft operating systems to get the full "benefit" of the architecture. If the primary goal for an IBM i (that does sound weird) shop is to integrate web services with back end programs in native RPG, ILE, CL, etc., IMHO it does make more sense to utilize the Java based technologies native to OS/400 rather than introduce a "foreign language" to the process. If JSP doesn't fit the bill, I would personally implement a ColdFusion solution before jumping into ASP.NET.

This is just my opinion, but I believe that ASP.NET should be reserved for MS IIS where it excels. If the web facing solutions are hosted on IIS, then by all means, use whatever language is best suited for the shop. In my experience, however, MS solutions, although open ended, don't work and play well with others out of the box. There seems to be more finesse required to implement non-Microsoft based interfaces in ASP.NET than in other less restricted languages.

Tom Armbruster

________________________________

From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Dave Odom
Sent: Mon 4/14/2008 3:17 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] ASP.NET and the iSeries - New Thread

Yep, we do. Ahhh, man, and I was looking forward to the naked mud wrestling. However, to the non-i5 centric IT world, they would say it was an illogical fight as they would side with me even though I might lose to you in the mud. I'll have to see what the URL is about.

Dave

"Aaron Bartell" <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> 4/14/2008 14:50 >>>
Wish I had time to fight with you Dave, but we already know where that
goes. Someday we will have to do mud wrestling (not naked) and resolve this
RPG dispute that way :-)

Aaron "fully clothed in the mud" Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com ( http://mowyourlawn.com/ ) <http://mowyourlawn.com/> ( http://mowyourlawn.com/ )