From what I understand DB2 WebQuery uses a product from Information
Builders called WebFOCUS.

We have WebFOCUS installed on a windows box as our business intelligence
solution. From my experience, it's a very picky, archaic language. We
were told upon initial sale of the product that no proprietary language
would be needed to develop any reports. Our first project required us to
do most of our reports heavily in the underlying code due to the GUI
interface's limitations. It is a Java product that runs on Tomcat. At
times, it can be extremely slow. It seems to me the primary focus of the
language/product is to build result sets in multiple HOLD files and
finally merging them together to get a final report. Very cumbersome and
poor programming pratices if you ask me.

Just my $.02

Shane Cessna
Senior Programmer
North American Lighting, Inc.
217.465.6600 x7776

"Thomas Gard" <thomas.gard@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/14/2008 01:41 PM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

WEB400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] IBM DB2 Web Query for i5/OS

Greetings frank,

We had looked at it, installed it, and had gotten it working.

We were impressed that it seemed to have more features and had greater
depth for reporting then as/400 query and we thought it also had more
features and possibilities then SEQUEL, which we have and use among
several power users. However our final conclusion was that it just
moved to slow, I would wait for screens/web pages to open that just
was not acceptable, especially when your oscillating between things.
Seemed to be a java based app. So we decided to stay with what we
have for the time being even though out current tools may not be ideal
we do not have to worry if they will work. I know there are other
products available and at some point hope to research them.

Also we were on V5R4 and a considerable effort had to be made to make
sure we had the correct ptfs and programs installed. My point being
it took several days to finally get it going and get http server to
work as expected.

If I had more time I would have tried to do more trouble shooting for
DB2 WebQuery. I was told by IBM that you have to pay for support for
the product after you get it installed.