Aaron,

I don't know where David would weigh in on this, but as a work-around the open source sites I developed for System i projects are designed with this in mind. It is possible to upload a complete zip file of anything on the site although I am not sure if that meets the need since it wouldn't be part of the *.midrange.com "family" of url's.

The opensource4i5os.com / opensource4systemi.com /opensource4iseries.com url's take you to a site that has upload capabilities. Those uploads are saved on my server which is a dual Xeon with 6Gb ram and 500Gb RAID 5 and backed up regularly. I have thought about hosting and svn site as well but, frankly, open source projects for the System i are so few and far between that the domains and web sites I have already receive next to no traffic. SVN would be a more efficient way to "host" projects. I have an SVN server on a Linux box I run. I could just expose it to the outside world.

I am fully willing to host such a site since open source on i is my passion and I'd love to give back to the community.

See what David says since I think midrange.com is "mecca" for all things midrange and it is logical to have such a repository here rather than somewhere else.

Pete

P.S. I just did a server migration and when I tested the upload I found a problem that I'll fix by this afternoon.

Aaron Bartell wrote:
It would be cool if we could find an online resource allowing us to save an
Eclipse project (i.e. zip file) centrally. That would allow the stuff
people are discovering about EGL/JSF to be posted in its entirety, giving
others the ability to be up and running quickly.

David, to my knowledge such a tool doesn't exist on midrange.com, though
maybe we could use the wiki site? Optimally it would be cool to have an SVN
instance on midrange.com that people could have read access to, and then the
people wanting to write would have to be validated by David first.

A nice, and free, SVN repository resource I have found is
http://www.assembla.com/. It would still be nice to have a midrange.com one
on the midrange server though, as that would be backed up by David and be
"officially endorsed" if you know what I mean. I don't think
code.midrange.com would be a good fit for this as we are talking entire
projects.

Thoughts?
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com