In case anyone is confused about EGL and the System i, here's something Bob
posted back in March - of 2006! Nothing I see in there points to the demise
of RPG.

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/i5/march06/features/8036p3.aspx

Be clear: IBM and especially the core EGL team believe that you can write
entire applications from scratch in EGL, and that it may even be
advantageous strategically to replace your business logic with EGL. But
then again, you've got people saying the same thing about SQL. You know my
position: use the right tool for the right job.

But unlike some of the SQL zealots, or the Pure Java acolytes, the System i
EGL team recognizes the strategic significance of not only the RPG programs
in your shop, but the RPG programmers. They believe that RPG business logic
is an integral fundamental part of any System i shop, and that it's up to
you as a business to decide whether you continue to write business logic in
RPG or start moving it to EGL.

What everybody on the EGL team agrees on is that System i shops should start
using EGL to build the UI side of your systems, because that will allow you
to build web applications and rich clients without having to learn a line of
Java code.

Okay, enough. I gotta go sledding.

Joe