I have been reading up on activation groups and how they relate to CGI apps. I understand the concept but I have a design issue that I can't see having been discussed as yet. I have a ILE RPG CGI app that does no database work or business logic. It only does the CGI work to present the HTML code. The CGI calls (no not CALLB or CALLP just old fashion CALL) another RPG app that does all the work unique to this application but the called RPG app also calls a bunch of other RPG apps that also do some database work and business logic. All of these called apps are also used by older green-screen applications so the business logic is shared between web users and traditional users (Yes I would like to get them all on the web frontend but that might be some time before I can accomplish that).

From what I have read I think the activation group setting on the CGI app should be a named activation group or *CALLER, anything but *NEW. In am not sure now to set the activation group for the called RPG and all the second lever called RPGs that are used both from Web and green-screen apps so as to make web response the best it can be but not mess up green-screen users. And I am not sure of the *INLR setting I should use. Currently the non CGI called RPG is setting on LR after every call. It does explicate OPENs on all the files it needs to fill the request but it does not do any closing, assuming the *LR = *ON will close everything. Same with the second level called apps. They all have a shut up switch that can be passed in which causes the app to seton LR and shutdown. In green-screen mode these are all opened on first call and then shutdown when the user exits the main application. In CGI mode these are all shutdown after each request (if it was used on that request).

I know this has to be having some negative impact on the web response but I have not see any real speed issues but I have only tested with about a dozen users at one time and soon that will ramp up to about 300 users at one time when students start to schedule classes.