Once we add the LDAP authentication I am going to consider not creating iSeries userids for those that only use web access (still have a lot that do green-screen) just to reduce the exposure although we do run nsafe that locks down ODBC and FTP and all other points of access that IBM has exit points on and I feel safe that our userids are protected.

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt.Haas@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:07 AM
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Web site authentication

Mike,

We have a combination of things controlling access. First, we have some
sites using basic authentication which has built in support for user
profiles, validation lists, and LDAP (and Active Directory which is
basically Microsoft's version of LDAP). Other sites don't use basic
authentication and use cookies to store a session id which is an MD5
hash of several things that gets validated on every page request. That
way of authenticating can use either LDAP or validation lists.

We do not use user profiles for anything since they are a big security
exposure. As you know, a user profile can let someone gain access
through things like ODBC and FTP (and other things) and if you don't
lock everything down properly, someone could gain access to the box.
Also, there are management issues with keeping track of which profiles
are for whom and there is less flexibility with things like the rules
around lengths and required attributes (number of non-alpha characters,
etc...).

Matt