Jon,

I'm talking about how their product accesses any database. From what I've been
able to discover, the regular Zend PHP only accesses a database via ODBC which
is not very efficient. What I need is a language that will access the database
using static or perhaps extended dyanmic SQL not dynamic as ODBC does.

I'm told by the Zend guy that their i5 PHP version does provide non-ODBC access
that sends an application's SQL to the database engine as static SQL. I'll be
able to tell when I see if their is any binding of access modules when the
product is installed/configured. If there's no binding, their's no static SQL
usage unless there is something going on I don't understand. And, if there
is, I'll need to have it explained to me as to how it works.

The bottom line is that all too often web apps are created that use dynamic SQL
which is OK for accessing small databases and simple queries but not for the
large and complex. As you probably know, static SQL is what you get when you
create a program that is put through the SQL pre-compiler. On the regular
DB2s there is even extended dynamic that gets close to static. I'm not sure
its available on DB2/400.

Dave

"Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 6/4/2007 20:20 >>>
Yeah, the Zend folks say there is a "native" way of doing it but don't
know any details.

I don't understand this comment.

As far as I know the Zend i5 functions use the same underlying APIs as the
Java Toolbox.

If you mean native DB2 (SQL) access you use the DB2 functions documented
here:

http://devzone.zend.com/manual/ref.ibm-db2.html

If you mean native i5 I/O you use the i5 functions documented in the User
Guide which you can link from here:

http://www.zend.com/products/zend_core/zend_core_for_i5_os

Jon Paris
Partner400