We are using tomcat server on a pc which is very fast to deploy.  That was
a major issue the admin server.

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/22/2007 02:52 PM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] Performance tuning of the IBM WAS Admin Server

From: Mike Cunningham

We are having very slow response when we are deploying applications in
the IBM WAS Admin Server. The apps are running fine once they are
deployed it's only when deploying the WAR files that we are seeing slow
response. Sometimes as long as 10 minutes to deploy and start a very
small application. Other times the response is not bad.  I have looked
around the I can find lots of material on tuning WAS for running
applications but not much on tuning the admin server. Does anyone have
any recommendations on tuning WAS Admin?  Do you run these jobs in their
own pool?  If so what jobs?

WAR file deployment in general is a pain in the buttocks.  If at all
possible, try to design your applications in such a way that you are able
hot-deploy them when necessary.

If the majority of your enhancements are in the UI, then it should be easy
to hot-deploy the changes.  When you have to put in new or modified Java
classes or JAR files, that's a little trickier.  That's why I try to keep
the Java code as thin as possible and use implement changes either via RPG
on the back end (for business logic) or JSP on the front side (for UI
changes).

Joe