Thanks for the report on your research, Nathan. What books have you been looking at?

On 9/19 was one of three board member presenters who shared the OMNI Dinner Meeting presentation time, went last and presented an overview of Ruby on Rails, followed by a demonstration of building a simple application with CRUD capabilities provided by first a dynamic and then a generated scaffold. Was intending to add another linked table in the demo, but got a little off track and didn't really have time to do so.

To finish up, showed my current version of the tutorial application from "Agile Web Development with Rails" which includes AJAX replacements of page elements (coded with a couple lines of Ruby that generate the Javascript and XML needed to make it happen) and Javascript effects from the Scriptaculous library add-ins like "blind down" (gradually showing a page element like in a powerpoint presentation) and "highlight element" (a color brighten and fade) that were also implemented in just a couple of lines of Ruby code that makes use of others' work to generate on the client the Javascript defined on the server.

Also, while presenting this on my Mac, the "ringer" in the audience with some Rails knowledge pointed to a peecee environment known as "Instant Rails" that along with tutorials like Curt Hibbing's "Rolling with Ruby on Rails" at onlamp.com could very easily move someone who's learned a bit from reading about this stuff to doing it. It's...

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/

...a one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby, Rails, Apache, and MySQL, all pre-configured and ready to run. No installer, you simply drop it into the directory of your choice and run it. It does not modify your system environment.

No less impressed with RoR, still moving forward with it for a couple of my own uses. The chirb (chicago ruby users group) is meeting 10/9 on the JRuby technology, which allows running Ruby in the JVM. Sun has hired the two main JRuby maintainers to work on the project full time. Hope to attend, but may have some OMNI duties related to OMNI's Day of Education on 10/10 preclude it.

http://omniuser.org/DOE2006.html

--Jerome Hughes
2006 OMNI Seminar VP
http://omniuser.org/DOE2006.html