Rails offers a lot  of time savers.  Scripts for generating default directory
structures for  applications.  Scripts for generating basic CRUD applications.
Scripts for  generating Model/View/Controller source files.  Built-in
components that  generate HTML, which can be used in addition to a WYSIWYG
editor, or as an  alternative.  Built-in  components which are just extensions
of base classes, reducing the programmer  code to a minimum.  A framework that
automatically performs mapping between the  database and the screen, and visa
versa, based on naming conventions is  a powerful concept.

 Interpretive  runtime environments are seductively appealing in the first
place.  There's no  compile, build, or deployment steps.  You can immediately
see the results of  your work on the screen, or error messages generated by the
runtime  environment.  It probably can't be beat for prototyping and rapid
application  development, so long as the applications are essentially
adaptations  of supported models.

 Tools like WDSC  and EGL are HEAVY, in comparison.  Downloading updates to
WDSC are an overnight  proposition.  You hope the network doesn't go down in
the mean time.  The  development and deployment environments are so massive
that you hope an update  won't destabilize your machine.

If Rails is simple, and it works, then it's probably destined to attract the
type of people, and the type of loyalty, that's typical in the iSeries
community.

 Nathan  Andelin