The name "Ruby on  Rails" is quite appropriate, IMO.  Ruby could have been just
another OO language  that faded into oblivion - like SmallTalk.  But, add a
database interface, an  HTTP interface, scripts for generating shells for basic
Web applications,  following a model/view/controller design pattern, and
license everything under  open source - it's like putting a language on
"rails", where it can go places,  so to speak.

 The part that  interests me the most at the moment is the idea of using
scripts and  templates to generate basic Web components.  One of my colleagues
created a utility  for running CL source members interpretively, as opposed to
compiling CL source  members into programs.  We use it to automate the process
of compiling, binding,  and building ILE applications, which generally consist
of a number of modules  and service programs.

 One idea we've  discussed is using CL scripts for generating HTML and RPG
source members,  providing a shell for basic Web applications, following a
model/view/controller  design pattern, given just a few parameters like the
name of the application and  the table or view that needs to be maintained.

 A tool like  Websmart generates HTML and RPG source members for Web
applications, but  requires significant training and understanding of a
proprietary scripting  language, logic constructs, and a Windows based GUI
editor and design tool to be  proficient.

 If you already  know RPG, you may not want to learn an additional higher-level
scripting  language, just to generate RPG code.  And you may not want  to go
back to a Windows based tool to maintain the application, and regenerate  the
RPG code.  What if you could just edit a CL source member, and run a command
to generate HTML and RPG source members, providing shells for basic Web
applications?

 It's just an  idea.  Another approach we've discussed is having a Wizard,
providing step by  step prompts, at the conclusion of which, a set of HTML and
RPG source members  would be generated.

 It looks like Ruby  on Rails takes more of a command line approach, which is
interesting.

 Perhaps PASE and a toolkit  for system interfaces, similar to what Zend did
for PHP, would be the  key to porting Ruby on Rails to the platform.

 Nathan M.  Andelin