Bruce,

I can use debug to see the XML being created.  CGIDEV2 allocates memory and
puts the document into a field based on a pointer.  I can look at the field
and see the entire XML document in there prior to CGIDEV2's
WrtSection('*fini') statement.  In fact, if I continue with debug I continue
to see the XML in the field right up to the point of the call to QtmhWrStout
(no errors returned by the API).

So what? I don't see how this helps. It proves that your program is writing XML, but doesn't prove that Apache is accepting it. Or that Apache is relaying it to the browser. Or that Apache is translating it properly. Or giving it the correct content type.

Sniffing the network connection would provide you with a very quick simple way to verify that the data is or isn't getting to the browser. Stepping through CGIDEV2 in debug provides a very complicated way of knowing that the data is getting to the QtmhWrStout API, which probably means that it's being written to a pipe. Not really the same thing -- unless of course you've ruled out any possible error relating to the HTTP server already.

I have also tested a very simple program, skipping the CGIDEV2 calls and
sending the XML document directly from the top-level program and _finally_ I
was able to get the XML document to be returned to responseText.  That tells
me that I'm not setting the content type correctly, but I'm at a loss.  It
also makes me wonder where CGIDEV2 is really sending the XML.

Why would it make you wonder that? You just said that you SAW IT write the XML to QtmhWrStout. That means that CGIDEV2 is writing the data to standard output.

If you're not setting the content-type directly, then Apache may be simply discarding it -- but you know what CGIDEV2 is doing with it.

So set the content-type and try again.  Did it solve the problem?