Hi Aby;

Both solutions performs well - so you have to focus on the scalability.

Since you a posting in this forum I assume that data is placed on the System I.

ASP.NET.
-----------
When you use the ASP.NET approach you will need a windows based internet server front-end powered by the IIS. from here you will do SQL connections with ADO or ODBC (or webservices) if you want to be online with your data.

The ASP.NET applications performs super. Now Microsoft is compiling ASP into asmx files. This gives really a boost compared to the previous .ASP applications..

So at the end of the day - it is the database connections that is the bottleneck and most unstable part of the solution, and the size of the PC-server you want to run it on.

STRUTS
STRUTS however, is running directly within the System I, so you don't have to worry about the database connection - that is JDBC or (in some cases calls via JNI to the native programs).

STRUTS is producing JSP pages which (by default) is not compiled objects (causing a litle performance degradation - but my guess is that you can live with that). The real performance considerations is how well WebSphere and JAVA is performing on the System. If you have unlimited RAM resources then this is the most powerful solution.

IBM is btw. using STRUTS in the WebFacing product....

And finally (a word from our sponsors :-) you might take a look at a product called IceBreak - It combines the best from the two worlds.

It is a native application server running on the System I. It use ASP as syntax - so you use Microsoft Web development studio with RPG or COBOL as language. It compiles the .ASP into native OS/400 programs and can run on even the smallest AS/400 R5V1 with a superb performance. You can play with it on http://www.icebreak.us

--
Regards

Niels Liisberg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aby Mathew" <abymathew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>