AJAX certainly has some uses.  The webmail concept which tries to turn your
browser into a look-alike for the thick client is one I can understand (and
is in fact the reasons the entire technology exists in the first place, in
order to make the Outlook web client look like Outlook on the desktop).

But in general, there aren't a lot of business applications that need this
level of interaction.  In Charles' case, the easy answer is just to submit
each item entered to the server and then send the list back to the user.  Is
there some overhead?  Yup.  But you're also guaranteed that the server is in
sync with the client, and that no asynchronous requests have been lost.
While his situation is simple with only one interactive control, what about
screens with dozens of such controls?

Unfortunately, the technology will be oversold.  Some people out there are
enamored of the geekiness, and they're going to promote it as the answer for
everything ("To a man with a new hammer, everything looks like a nail").
The zip code thing is a great example: sure, it's cool, but how much does it
really add to the user experience?  How many people know what zip code
they're in as opposed to what city?

Anyway, I'm sure we'll see a couple of really good uses for the technology
which will be far outnumbered by the number of people using it for no reason
other than it's cool.

Joe