For simplicity sake, you don't need AJAX. If you don't need the data
beyond the session, you can simply pass each previously entered item in
hidden fields back to the CGI program each time you call it. Your page
would have a form like this initially:

<form method="post" action="mycgi.pgm">
<input type=text" name="code">
<input type="submit>
</form>

When submit is clicked, your CGI program would return a form that looks
like:

<form method="post" action="mycgi.pgm">
<input type=text" name="code">
<input type="submit>
<input type="hidden" name="savedcode" value="first code">
</form>

On the next submit, you'd get:

<form method="post" action="mycgi.pgm">
<input type=text" name="code">
<input type="submit>
<input type="hidden" name="savedcode" value="first code">
<input type="hidden" name="savedcode" value="second code">
</form>

And so on.

You could then find out how many instances of "savedcode" were passed
in, loop through all of them, and do what ever you need to do with those
values. If looking up the extra data is a slow process, you could also
create hidden fields for those items instead of looking them up. You
could also use cookies to do the same thing but some people have an
aversion to them.

One thing to be aware of with using hidden fields (or cookies) is that
it's trivial to change their values. If someone changing a saved field
matters, you would be better off storing all of this on the server.

Matt