I know I got this to work at one point (I can't find what I was messing
with) but for what you're doing, it would probably be better to ditch
basic authentication (which doesn't have anything built in to expire
logins) and roll your own. There are two ways you can do that. The first
(and likely hardest) would be to write a plug-in to make basic auth do
what you want. This program needs to be multi-threaded which rules RPG
out. You may be able to find something for Apache 2.0 on another OS that
can be ported over.

The second way you can do this is to come up with your own
authentication scheme and make everything understand it. For static
pages, you'd need to pull in a program via an SSI that checks to see if
the user is logged in with a valid session or not. You'll end up needing
to created a session id and it's easiest to store it in a cookie. What I
did is create a file that holds session information in it. When a
session id is generated, I put it and a timestamp in the table (the
session ID is a GUID that I hash with some other values so there ends up
being more in that table to I can verify the session ID hasn't been
tampered with). Every time I need to check to see if it's still valid,
it's a simple lookup to see if the current time is less than the
timestamp. If not, they get redirected to the login page. This also
makes it easy to log in and out of the site.

Matt