From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bob Cozzi
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 11:52 AM
To: 'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: Re: [WEB400] native PHP in V5R4???

I agree. But one problem I see is that IBM has no compelling
offering/products
for GUI-izing applications on which to build third-party software. If IBM
offers
WebFacing and HATS and then decides HATS is "better" (read more profitable)
that's the direction they point you. When that doesn't work that create a
list
of vendors who offer alternatives.
Why Microsoft succeeds in this third-party front, in my view, is because
they
often create a power platform on which to base third party software. So if
company X needs feature Y that isn't in the base product, they can buy it.
Similar to what you suggest IBM has done by identifying Joe's and other
products.
Problem for us is that IBM's goal is often to create the template or model
and
than sit back and wait for the cash to roll in. When it does, great; when it
doesn't they restructure the template until the people involved either leave
IBM
or move to another area.
When MS does it, they keep improving the product until it works for
customers
(often), or the bail out (rarely).
Take WDSC. Sure it is a powerful product. But it would have be a success 10
years ago if it ran in 1 megabyte of ram and people could actually have used
it
then. Today it would be the standard and even at 1 GB of ram would still be
success.
It seems like IBM sales people continue to try to sell the Buckingham Palace
first time home buyers. The show you how you can get the palace and I'm sure
it
make perfect sense to IBM. But to the home buyer, it is just out of reach,
no
matter what IBM does.
Having said this, things may be changing for the better, but I look at is as
the
same old "how great it's going to be" pitches I've been seeing for the last
30
years in this business.

I love this box, I love RPG IV, I love what we can do with AJAX, CGI and RPG
IV.
In my view, they offer the best solution to OS/400 application modernization
thus far. Problem is, IBM keeps moving the goal post.

-Bob Cozzi
www.RPGxTools.com
RPG xTools - Enjoy programming again.