With all due respect Dave, I think you are missing the big picture. You
think that SQL is the ONLY way. Even if a better way exists - which I
believe native access in RPG is better (and maybe that is the point we can't
agree on).

Just because other languages have no other way other than SQL to access
databases doesn't mean that is the way everyone should go. If I read between
the lines correctly you have concern that native access will be taken away
sometime in the future and RPG programmers will all of a sudden be left with
the task of converting all their code to SQL access and/or forced to do all
new development with SQL access. I will make a prediction that if RPG native
access goes the way of the buffalo, so will the language. IBM has good
reason to NOT leave RPG in the dust as that is where their faithful
customers live. RPG is proprietary to OS/400 which is a pooh-poohed
statement to make in the market place because "it locks you in to the
iSeries", but I can't think of a better box to be locked into. With being
proprietary you get a lot of benefit that other languages CAN'T give you
because they try to abstract each layer of an application so much. Sure they
try to dynamically build it all for you so you don't have to care (thinking
of hibernate.org) but to have some of that built into the compiler and OS
provides great benefit and productivity to the end programmer.

On the other side of the fence SQL has been neglected too much by the RPG
compiler. Though it is getting more attention as of late in V5R4. We will
have to see how the RPG community treats this next round of SQL changes
built into the compiler.

Aaron Bartell