> From: Dave Odom
>
> I wondered when you'd chime in.  Let me know when you are ready to
> tackle the big picture of the iSeries perception and ways to have it
> taken seriously when competing against is internationally recognized
> RDBMS rivals.

I'm not "chiming in".  I'm just countering your patently false statement
that SQL is anywhere near as fast as native I/O for transaction processing.
The fact is that native I/O is much faster, period.  Until you admit that
fact up front, the rest of your "big picture" is a waste of time.

You constantly try to edge in statements like "SQL is VERY fast when the
appropriate indexes... la la la la la".  You ignore benchmarks that prove
that SQL is up to 10 times as slow as native access on record-by-record
access.  This constant contradiction of reality removes all credibility from
anything else you say.

> And since I have been around for a long time and have faced the big
> picture and realized what makes a platform have a future, I try to get
> the faithful to recognize the "elephant in the living room".

And somehow, in your perception of "the big picture", the fact that the
iSeries has BOTH tremendously fast native access and ANSI standard SQL
access means that the iSeries has no future.  I cannot glean any sense from
this statement.

The truth is that most anything you can do in SQL outside of a few
vendor-specific extensions you can do on the iSeries.  And then, when you
need extra performance, you can go to native I/O.  In fact, RPG is the only
language I know of that allows you to access your database both ways, which
in my mind makes it leading edge!

Joe