After the first CGI load everything is fine but if you wait 15 mins and go back and try to access the page again it takes nearly 60 secs to load the page. But if I go to the page and keep access different things the performance is really good.

I've been having the same problem since upgrading to V5R3. (I didn't have any problem with V5R2. I used Apache on both versions.)

It's definitely not the time it takes to open files or parse input, because I have the problem with even the most trivial of programs. Consider the following program:

     H DFTACTGRP(*NO)

     D QtmhWrStout     PR                  extproc('QtmhWrStout')
     D   DtaVar                   32766A   options(*varsize) const
     D   DtaVarLen                   10I 0 const
     D   ErrorCode                32766A   options(*varsize)
     D errornull       s              8A   inz(*allx'00')
     D data            s            100A   varying
      /free
        data = 'content-type: text/html' + x'2525'
             + '<h1>test output</h1>' + x'25';
        QtmhWrStout(data: %len(data): errornull);
        return;
      /end-free

As you can see, it doesn't really do anything that should require expensive startup. If I run this program interactively, even if it needs to start an activation group, it runs in a fraction of a second.

But, running the same thing through the HTTP server creates this 30 second lag. If I call it again immediately afterwards, the response is instant. If I wait an hour or so and run it again (even if nobody else uses this HTTP instance, so I know the program's still loaded) it'll be really slow again.

I tried doubling the RAM in my machine, but it didn't help.

If however, I write a comparable program in C and run it on a FreeBSD PC with the exact same version of Apache, it runs fast. Even on a 486SX-25 with 8mb of RAM.