Dave,

You can edit the configuration file by hand. Assuming you're using the
Apache based server, the configuration file is in /www/your server
instance name/conf and is called httpd.conf. It's based on Apache 2.0 so
any info you find for it pretty much directly applies
(http://httpd.apache.org is a good place to start). You can use the
ENDTCPSVR and STRTCPSVR commands to start and stop the server.
WARNING!!! The defaults to these commands are to start and stop *ALL*
TCP/IP servers so be very careful with them (especially the ENDTCPSVR
command).

My guess to your authentication problem is that it's doing the access
control with a Directory container instead of a Location container.
Using Directory containers for access control doesn't work well for Java
apps and Net.Data. Something along the lines of this should get you
working:

<Location /AppDirectory>
   AuthName "Eat At Joes"
   AuthType Basic
   PasswdFile mylib/myvldl
   UserID %%SERVER%%
   Require valid-user
</Location>

For SSL, you will need to use the DCM (which is part of the admin GUI)
to do the SSL setup. You can access DCM directly by going to
http://yourhostname:2001/QIBM/ICSS/Cert/Admin/qycucm1.ndm/main0. Note
that you'll need to have *SECADM special authority to use this. Also,
IBM has their own SSL implementation so information about OpenSSL
doesn't apply. Once you have the certificate set up, you'll need to add
the following lines to your httpd.conf:

LoadModule ibm_ssl_module /QSYS.LIB/QHTTPSVR.LIB/QZSRVSSL.SRVPGM
SSLEngine On
SSLAppName app_name_from_dcm
SetEnv HTTPS_PORT 443

and add port 443 to your listen directive. You'll also need to go into
your app server and set it up so it listens on port 443 for connections.

Matt