I've had conversations like this a lot.  I'm 31 (in case anyone wonders),
but have had the privilege of programming C, C++, JAVA, VB, COBOL, JCL, and
others.

Here are my observations...

1. Most of the code I've ever worked on was bad code.  Someone was under
time constraints or hung over or whatever.  For me, bad procedural code is a
lot easier to deal with than bad object code.
2. Programming has become too academic.  We're all so insecure about what
our peers will say that we're afraid to say "No, dammit, I will NOT make a
new class for that tiny bit of functionality with no real re-use potential."
- or - "No, Dammit, I will not use that way-cool-groovy design pattern when
this perfectly simple thing will do nicely"
3. There is nothing inherently wrong or poorly performing about JAVA, but
the way that we implement it makes it so.  (too many classes doing to little
work - this may just be in the company / system that I'm working for /on
now, but sufferin' cats!!!)
4. COBOL & C were the pinnacle of programming.  Yep, I'm serious.  Why?
They had most of the reuse and good modular design characteristics of modern
OOP languages, without the overhead and clutter.
5. Web based programming is CICS with pretty pictures and without the
efficiency.

Neener neener neener. :)

Joe