The cool thing about the software development business is the variety! I have no problem with any business approach as long as both buyer and seller know what they are getting. You have a great model as well, one that a prior company I worked for grew on (and was bought and sold, twice, with). Being up front with customers is key. Letting them know what support you will provide as part of the agreement is key. We have a fairly unusual, hybrid model that we operate with so the "give the software away for free and charge for services" model isn't exactly the way we do business, but it is close.

I agree with all you say here Brad, and if I had a fee based software offering I'd operate just as you do. I and love that orientation to quality. Yeah, if everything is done correctly, you should be as busy on the support end as the Maytag guy....(Microsoft, are you listening in?....)

Pete

Brad Stone wrote:

I agree here.  I've tried open source and the biggest
question was, once they have the software, is any
communication with them considered "service" and chargable?

For instance, I get a lot of emails asking things like:

1.  Where did the CGIDEV2 site move to?
2.  How do I install CGIDEV2?
3.  How come HALLO.MBR doesn't work?  (Changed to HELLO in
later versions)

If I were the distributor of CGIDEV2 as open source.. do I
charge for those things?  What if it turns out to be a bug?
do I charge for that?   Where do you draw the line?  Or is
there one?

I sell software, consulting services, etc...  my business
model is the exact opposite.  Sell the software at a
nominal price (a minor fraction of my competitors) and
offer free support and software upgrades.  (some support
actually falls into the consulting area, and I am upfront
about that with my customers if it's obviously over the
line, like helping users set up an application to use
GETURI with their TP).

To me, this works because:

1. charging for support when it's bug related is wrong,
IHMO.
2. Reporting bugs actually is a benifit to the ISV... 3. Getting input on software enhancements is also a benifit

As enhancements are added, you can raise prices
accordingly, as I do.  This doesn't affect the user of v1.0
until they replace their machine and purchase a new
license.

In other words, if you write your software well enough,
there should be very little support needed.  And with
thousands of installs of my software, I believe I've proven
that to be true.  At least in my case.

Brad
www.bvstools.com
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:27:47 -0600