I agree here.  I've tried open source and the biggest
question was, once they have the software, is any
communication with them considered "service" and chargable?

For instance, I get a lot of emails asking things like:

1.  Where did the CGIDEV2 site move to?
2.  How do I install CGIDEV2?
3.  How come HALLO.MBR doesn't work?  (Changed to HELLO in
later versions)

If I were the distributor of CGIDEV2 as open source.. do I
charge for those things?  What if it turns out to be a bug?
 do I charge for that?   Where do you draw the line?  Or is
there one?

I sell software, consulting services, etc...  my business
model is the exact opposite.  Sell the software at a
nominal price (a minor fraction of my competitors) and
offer free support and software upgrades.  (some support
actually falls into the consulting area, and I am upfront
about that with my customers if it's obviously over the
line, like helping users set up an application to use
GETURI with their TP).

To me, this works because:

1. charging for support when it's bug related is wrong,
IHMO.
2. Reporting bugs actually is a benifit to the ISV...
3. Getting input on software enhancements is also a benifit

As enhancements are added, you can raise prices
accordingly, as I do.  This doesn't affect the user of v1.0
until they replace their machine and purchase a new
license.

In other words, if you write your software well enough,
there should be very little support needed.  And with
thousands of installs of my software, I believe I've proven
that to be true.  At least in my case.

Brad
www.bvstools.com