From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Luis Rodriguez
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 9:11 AM
To: Web 400 midrange forum
Subject: RE: [WEB400] Performance in ASF/TOMCAT

Aaron,

Thanks for your answer. Well, right now the only app running is iSeries
Access for Web. Our customer is running V5R3 on a 520. I'm not very sure
of how keen would be this customer in using a "non-IBM" supplied
software (I know, I know, Open source and all that, but different
people, different perceptions).

Thanks again,

Luis Rodriguez

> ------------------------------
>
> message: 2
> date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:48:29 -0500
> from: "albartell" <albartell@xxxxxxxxx>
> subject: RE: [WEB400] Performance in ASF/TOMCAT
>
> The first thing I would do is discontinue the use of IBM's version of
> Tomcat
> (which from what I remember is going to be unsupported in the near
future
> unless it already is unsupported).
>
> Download the actual binaries from Jakarta.apache.org and install them
in
> the
> IFS on your iSeries. Note that you will most likely need to load
Tomcat
> 4.x
> because Tomcat 5.x requires JDK 1.5.x and most iSeries machines I have
> worked on recently have their JDK at 1.3.x.
>
> By having the un-altered Tomcat running on your iSeries you can get
> better
> performance tuning tips from the tomcat users list.  This list could
give
> you information on how to performance tune your business logic within
> your
> Servlets/JSP's/JSF/etc, but to do that we would need to know more
about
> your
> application.  What are you having troubles with? What third party
tools
> are
> you using (i.e. Hibernate for data access)
>
> Aaron Bartell

On