Joe,

We've shared so much common ground over the years that
our exchanges never break out in flames.  I'm glad
when you qualify my generalizations.  One of my
colleagues also tells me that you're a heck of a nice
guy in person ;-).

The last time I looked at HATS, which converts 5250
screens into HTML, I seem to recall the average page
size being about 50 Kb.  I've also worked with one
.Net based tool named Revelation which generated an
average page size over 100 Kb for database maintenance
applications.  Wouldn't you agree that generating
large HTML streams, particularly with Java, consumes
significant resources?  Wouldn't you agree that it
takes quite a bit of planning and discipline, or at
least an additional framework to use JSPs properly?
Do you really think my CPU estimates are FUD, or would
the fact that your pages are 5 Kb in size be more of a
credit to your design?

If you were designing new Web applications instead of
generating HTML front-ends for legacy green-screen
programs would you recommend using browser function
keys?  Most of my work is with K-12 public school
districts where the Macintosh has a strong presence.
The public sector is also getting into Linux based
workstations.  My default browser is Firefox.  I
sugggested using accellerator keys for keyboard
oriented applications, which you seem to agree with.

A while back, you questioned my understanding of
multi-threaded architecture & reentrant code, when I
alluded to a synchronization bottleneck in J2EE
application servers, which stung a bit, because I've
had a fair amount of experience in both writing
multi-threaded communication servers in Java as well
as components that run in them.  I also pointed out
some of the architectural advantages that J2EE has
over CGI.

For those who would prefer using a native ILE
interface, my suggestion would be to "split" the
interface, by having a light-weight HTTP "connector"
forward HTTP environment and HTML form variables to
native applications via data queues [or a comparable
communication channel],  and providing a means for
launching application server instances that which use
an API for generating HTML,  and providing a means of
load-balancing requests across application servers,
which provides an effective means of managing
resources, while supporting any number of users, and
any number of applications.

It seems to me that your PCS400 product might be doing
something similar, where a light-weight Servlet
provides a communication interface between an HTTP
server and legacy applications, loads the data stream
returned from legacy applications into Java beans, and
dispatches JSPs to transform the beans into HTML,
although I admit to not having experience with your
product.

Most Web architectures, particularly .Net goes to
great lengths to support distributed resources.  The
HTTP server may be deployed on one box, application
components on another, and database components on yet
another.  While simple applications may not need that
type of infrastructure, Microsoft uses distributed
resources as a means of supporting more users and more
types of applications, though it also introduces more
potential points of failure, and a lot more
complexity.

One thing that has been helpful to me has been to
streamline the interface between end-users and the
database.  Less complexity.  More reliability.  Better
performance.

Nathan Andelin