I agree, Mike.  PHP is a great tool for certain jobs.  I think what I'm
most worried about is that we're getting TOO MANY choices now.  I just
got done doing a mentoring session on JSP Model II, and because I have a
very focused syllabus, my clients came up to speed in a just a couple of
days.  They're already pushing the envelope of my architecture and
figuring out how to extend it for their specific needs.  Had I instead
tried to address all of the possible approaches, they'd still be in the
theory stage rather than designing working applications.

I *think* what I'd like to see is a set of guidelines as to when to use
each approach.  If we could as a community come up with three or four
(or even half a dozen) basic scenarios and have a skeleton approach to
each, then I think we'd see a lot more movement forward.  The problem is
not the programming; we're business application developers, which means
we're for the most part pretty darned good programmers.  The problem is
getting started, and the more choices people have, the more chance they
have to fall into "analysis paralysis" and then nothing gets done.  And
this is where the Midrange Alliance folks wander in with their
technically inferior but oh so pretty out-of-the-box "solutions".

Joe