Makes sense, however in a "shared" program library scheme like you
mentioned you keep you programs in one library.  Let's say DHTDIVO.  Then
you may keep you files in other libraries.  Let's say DHT001F and DHT002F
for plant 1's files and plant 2's files.  Now, if you follow the
suggestion to add the library containing the program to your library list
from reading the psds or whatever, that doesn't buy you jack.  Or, if you
read some job description and then use the api to get it's library list (I
wrote my own RTVJOBD command), let's say job description STANDARD out of
the library containing the program that still doesn't buy you jack, unless
you can figure out another way to differentiate which job description to
load up.  I suppose you could look at the job description associated with
the user profile logged in at the time.  I'll admit I am still in the
lurking stage on web design but from what I hear figuring out the user
logged in isn't simply a field in the psds of a rpg program.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Peter Vidal" <Peter_Vidal@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/13/2005 07:08 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [WEB400] Library List question...

"I'm trying to understand what the advantage of using a library list is?
If the program has to be aware of the library (regardless of whether it
gets this info from a constant in the program or whether it reads it
from a file, data area, parameter, etc) then why not just specify the
libraries explictly when opening the file?  What good is the library
list?"

On shared applications, you do not want to specify libraries in programs.
You want the application to behave consistently with the same database,
regardless if it is working against the production environment (libraries)

or test environment.  That is why is really important the *LIBL.  It will
define to the program "to whom I am talking to": production or test?

Peter Vidal
PALL Corporation / SR Programmer Analyst, IT Development Group
10540 Ridge Rd., Ste 203, New Port Richey, FL 34654-5111
http://www.pall.com

"Courage is the strength or choice to begin a change. Determination is the

persistence to continue in that change."
-- Anonymous ----