From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:06 PM
To: 'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: [WEB400] Who Uses WebSphere Express?

I'm going to cross-post this to MIDRANGE-L as well, because I think it
is a valid question for that list, as it's an overall technical
question.  But David will let us know one way or the other.

The situation is this.  On one of the iSeries forums, a contention has
been made that WebSphere Express is inadequate for use as a corporate
web application server.  I vehemently denied this, since I use it and I
know of several clients using it to some degree.  But many of my clients
are in the pre-production stage, or else are using the full WebSphere
product, and so I'm not a good source of information for this.  Further,
someone implied that IBM has no idea how many people are actually using
the product, so that asking them would not help.  Again I disagreed, and
I will try to ask some folks within IBM.  However, I thought it might
also be appropriate to go to the horse's mouth, so to speak, and ask the
vast community that makes up midrange.com and see what they are doing.

So, I was wondering how many of you are currently using WebSphere
Express on an iSeries in production.  While I realize that some may not
be able to say much due to corporate privacy issues, any additional
information would be welcome, such as number of users, intranet vs.
Internet, type of applications and so on.

I plan to gather this information and include it in an upcoming article,
so if you'd like to give some information but not have it publicly
available, feel free to email me directly and state that it's not for
the record.

Thanks in advance, everyone!  I think it's time we start getting some
real information out there and fight the FUD that's I feel is going to
happen very shortly as vendors begin to position themselves to get the
greatest piece of the iSeries pie.  If you're interested in reading why
I feel that way, please see my just-published article, "The iSeries: The
Once and Future King" at MCPressOnline:

http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@.6b2216b3

Joe