From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bartell, Aaron L.
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 9:07 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: [WEB400] IBM Bets PHP Is Open Source's Next Big Thing

I have done both PHP and RPG and would say that PHP is much easier to
program and caters much more towards web development (it was built for
it and is still being modified to meet that need). Of course RPG still
has some things on PHP because of it's DB access, but other than that
there isn't much else it has on PHP.

IMO they should have gone with PHP from the get go rather than pursue
net.data.  Going this route kinda says a lot with how much IBM has been
teaching it's customers about Java.  With the advent of JSF, Java web
development is much easier and is a better direction to go if you are
developing serious web apps for your company. Note that I am still not
sold on WAS and rather use Tomcat, probably  mostly because WAS doesn't
give me anything extra that Tomcat doesn't offer (ie I don't use EJB's)

Aaron Bartell