Here is another option that seems to address some of the sentiments expressed
via this thread. Please note; I am associated with vendor Arterial Software the
developer of aXes.

| The problem is that you've got RPG programmers who have been
| working in RPG and CL and probably nothing else for 30 years, then
| suddenly they're in a position where they need to show that they can
| efficiently make GUI apps or they'll be looking at replacing the system with
Windows.

| So now what happens?  Following the IBM party line, they have
| to basically start over from scratch, learn Java and the other details
| like servlets, XML, etc.  The result is software that runs at a fraction of
| the speed, has an ENORMOUS learning curve because they've got to learn
| at least one completely new language, etc.

HTML keyword for display files

By making use of the DDS field-level keyword on an unnamed constant field you
can have Hyper Text Markup Language tags sent along with the aXes Terminal
Server datastream. If the datastream is sent to an aXes Terminal Server session
or IBM Workstation Gateway device (with restrictions), the HTML tags will be
processed at the browser. If the datastream is not sent to an aXes Terminal
Server or Workstation Gateway, the HTML keyword is ignored.

The format of this DDS keyword is:

HTML('value')
or
HTML(&program-to-system-field);

Features

Regular DDS screen definitions interspersed with HTML.
Display file may contain only HTML.
Cursor movement and position information for screen content, including HTML.
DDS graphical constructs supported.
Scale browser session content, including HTML.
Remove application screen size limitation, use arbitrary dimensions.
Browser supported content can be deployed.
Applications run with green screen.

Benefits

Enjoy immediate productivity.
Integrate RPG and DDS applications with web technology.
Single source, familiar and consistent iSeries application image and namespace.
No complex session state information is required using display files.
Totally eliminate double maintenance.
No client deployment, zero footprint applications.
Continue using existing skills and development methodologies.
Level the web development "playing field" using known ROI metrics.
Traditional iSeries language framework enabled as a first class web development
platform.

Bob