I'll have to agree on this. When I started RPG CGI programming back in late
1997/early `98, I started with basic HTML knowledge and was able to get up and
running pretty quickly. In the span of about two weeks, I learned enough web
server configuration to take care of setting a server up and also had a CGI
program that brought up some data from our JDE system. This was all self
thought and there weren't the resources for help that are available now. The
fact that it was building upon a language that I was already familiar with
helped tremendously.

Java, on the other, was a different story. A bunch of us went to a week long
class and it took a couple of days to get to the point of being able to do a
piddly app like my first CGI program. I not only had to learn a new source
editor (Visual Age for Java) but I also had to learn a new language that is far
from simple to get your head around. This class didn't even touch on web
development (it may not have even been an option outside of applets at the
time) but the end result was that my web development continued in RPG CGI
exclusively for the next few years.

I've never felt that Java has the same approachability that RPG has for someone
just starting off. I guess the difference is that RPG is designed to be able to
get common business tasks done easily where Java seems more like something that
came out of the academic world. I also like the fact that I've rarely had to
touch my RPG code during upgrades (I've had to do it once -- my CGI programs
needed recompiled during one of the V4Rx upgrade) where with every time a new
version of WebSphere comes out, the apps need to be touched (we're going
through this right now).

Matt