From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 11:24 PM
To: 'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: [WEB400] Question on CGIDEV2

> From: Bob Cozzi
>
> Yes Joe, but every time we go to use that power tool named Java the
lights
> dim in the entire neighborhood before it actually starts running.

Actually, the JVM is more like the generator.  When you're on a
worksite, you don't turn on the generator every time you use the tool,
you fire it up once.  It's all about using your tools correctly, Bob.
<g>

> <tic>
> But you have to wonder why in nearly 2005 anyone would use a pound
sign
> (which is not an invariant character) in program code whose purpose is
> encode characters. How ironic is that!

Even more ironic is the fact that the ISO-8859-1 character set (Latin-1)
includes the hashmark (or pound sign) as a character, and in fact uses
it as the delimiter when defining other characters by their numeric
value (for example, &#34; is a quotation mark).

Joe