From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Rob Dixon
Sent: Thu 04-Nov-04 6:47 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Javascript and browser compatability

Walden

Many thanks for your response.

The trouble is that onMouseover, onClick  and createPopup are only
supported by IE.

An extract from my code, generated by my product ERROS, that works in IE is

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> var popup=window.createPopup(); var num;
var colour; var session=(document.getElementById('SESSION').value);
javascript:window.history.forward(1); colour = "cyan";
void(document.bgColor='C0C0C0'); function fd() {var buttonname = session
+ "/BUTTON.999-999=*E"; document.getElementById(buttonname).click()}
function fm(msg) {popup.document.body.style.backgroundColor="yellow"; if
(msg=='1') {msgtxt="Double left click on link to navigate"} else if
(msg=='2') {msgtxt="Double click to continue"} else if (msg=='3')
{msgtxt="Double click to Navigate or Single click and then select
option"} else if (msg=='4') {msgtxt="Double click to continue or Single
click and then select option"} else {msgtxt="Hover over highlighted
links or images for instructions"} popup.document.body.innerHTML=msgtxt;
popup.show(12,274,600,20, document.body)}function fr(num)
{document.getElementById('AFIELD.007-016').value = num} fm(9) </SCRIPT>
<STYLE>A:link {color:blue;text-decoration:none;font-weight:bold;}
A:visited {color:blue;text-decoration:none;font-weight:bold;} A:hover
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;font-weight:bold;}</STYLE>

<A href="#" ONMOUSEOVER="fm(4)" onDblClick="fr(50); fd()"
ONCLICK="fr(50); fm(4)"; onmouseout="fm(9)";> James Villiers, 1st Duke
of Buckingham,</A>

I have chosen a link in an historical site that I am building but it
could be anything.  When you hover over this link, you have a choice of
options and the popup tells you this.  The appropriate option is
selected by clicking on a button. The browser does not return a URL to
ERROS but, in this case, the number "50" which ERROS knows is the 50th
item of data sent to the browser.  There are no stored URL's except for
images hence href="#".

This (and much more) is put into the 5250 datastream by ERROS which
allows me to use AS/400 WSG to provide a full point and click interface
without (as yet) having written any CGI code or anything else.  It works
for any application built using ERROS.

I would like to get it to work under later Netscape and Firefox.

Many thanks

Rob Dixon