        You are most likely looking for the C function sscanf()

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/books/sc415607.pdf#SSCANF

        JMS..

At 02:46 PM 10/29/2004, Malchow, Grizzly wrote:
For what it's worth I think I was the original poster of the textarea
topic. Here's my situation. I needed a means of displaying and changing
basically a paragraph if information. Each line in the paragraph is
actually a record in a physical file. The field is 65 alpha. I'm loading
the textarea by reading the file and updating the html variable after
each record. I'm not having any trouble loading the text area.
The user can change the text in the textarea as they please and click a
button to update the information. At which point a CGI program written
in RPG is executed. I get the value of the text inside of the text area
and parse out the text before, inbetween, and after carriage returns.
The information inbetween carriage returns is then moved to the file. I
do this with the %scan bif and simple math. The process I have in place
works, but I was curious to know if there was an API or C function that
would take a variable and a delimiter and load an array with the
information in the variable minus the delimiter. If anyone is familiar
with Visual Basic it would do the same thing as the split function.

An example would be something like this:
Var1 = 'Sentence one x'25'Sentence two x'25'
Var2 = x'25'

Unknown function would execute as follows
Array = function(var1:var2)

After the function was run an array would look like this
Array(1) = 'Sentence one'
Array(2) = 'Sentence two'

I guess it's not a big deal since what I have in place works, but I
thought maybe there would be something that already did that.

Thanks
Griz