From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Wayne McAlpine
Sent: Wednesday, 27 October, 2004 15:15
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WEB400] Re: FRCA-Fast Response Cache Accelerator any benefit
while running CGI apps?

I have been using FRCA reverse proxy cache for the past year with cgi
programs to serve election night results real-time.  I've got it set to
cache for three mminutes, so the first call to a particular page loads
it into the cache.  Subsequent calls during the next three minutes
receive the cached copy.  There are literally thousands of pages cached
in a large election and this works extremely well.

Prior to using the cache, each request did a cgi database read and buidl

of an html page, with a resulting high processor and disk usage.  We did

some stress testing originally and found a tremendous performance
improvement using the cache, while keeping cpu usage within acceptable
levels.  The real test will be next Tuesday night when the polls close.
    Wish me luck!

BTW, the IE browser refresh button retrieves the cached copy.  Mozilla,
however, forces a reload.  Fortunately, about 98% of our clients are IE,

so it works fine.

Mike Skvarenina wrote:
> My apologies for the continuous questions but now that I'm running
Apache, I