Does the Java code have any try/catch blocks in it that don't print out a stack
trace? If there's code like this:

try {
   fancy code goes here
} catch (Exception e) {
}

You'll never see an error message.

I guess it's also possible for the Toolbox to be eating it's errors (I think
some parts do that). You should take a look at the documentation
(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/rzahh/page1.htm) to see
if that's the case. If you're using the CommandCall object, here's a snippet of
code that I use to run the CHGAUT command in a file upload servlet I did (if
you care about what the messages are, I think you can more info about them from
the AS400Message object):

AS400ConnectionPool as400ConPool = new AS400ConnectionPool();

These lines go in the init() method:

// Set maximum connections to AS/400 Connection Pool.
as400ConPool.setMaxConnections(maxPoolConn);
// Preconnect connections to the AS400.COMMAND service.
as400ConPool.fill(iSeriesName, iSeriesUser, iSeriesPassword, AS400.COMMAND,
minPoolConn);

These lines go in the main logic section:

try {
        // Connect to the AS/400
        AS400 as400Conn = as400ConPool.getConnection(iSeriesName, iSeriesUser,
iSeriesPassword, AS400.COMMAND);

        // Set authority
        CommandCall cmd = new CommandCall(as400Conn);
        cmd.run("CHGAUT OBJ('" + dirName + "/" + newFileName + "') USER(" +
UserID + ") DTAAUT(*RWX) OBJAUT(*ALL)");
        AS400Message[] messageList = cmd.getMessageList();
        for (int i = 0; i < messageList.length; i++) {
                System.out.println(messageList[i].getText());
        }

        // Disconnect from the AS/400
        as400ConPool.returnConnectionToPool(as400Conn);

} catch (Exception e) {
        System.out.println("An error occured connecting to " + iSeriesName + ".
Error is " + e.getMessage());
}

This goes in the destroy() method:

as400ConPool.close();

If you're using PCML, I haven't used it before but there are wizards to set up
the call for you.

Matt