I experienced similar issues when moving to apache from
classic with authorities.

With Classic, QTMHHTP1 only needed authority to CGI
libraries, and objects.  When I used Apache I couldn't for
the life of me figure out why they wouldn't work.  Turned
out I also needed to grant authority to QTMHHTTP.

Anyhow, QTMHHTTP would need RX authority to the folder
simply because it's the HTTP server that is serving the
download.  I would almost find it odd if it worked without
it.

Brad
www.bvstools.com