Thanks for the help guys - I stumbled on the answer by luck today when a
job wouldn't end after I stopped the Apache server.

One of the CGI modules was occasionally getting itself in to a loop. The
problem has been there for a while before we migrated to Apache but the
original HTTP server used to automatically trigger a "SIGKILL" when the job
started to eat up the CPU. We never managed to identify the cause of the
problem. I was mistaken in my belief that the job was on TIMW status, must
have been the 6am problem!

The Apache server doesn't seem to do the same thing so the job keeps
looping even after an ENDTCPSVR *HTTP.  My thinking was that this command
would trigger a kind of *IMMED end to the server but it's obviously a
*CNTRLD type of end so the QZSRCGI instance just carries on running until
the request has completed.

We've now fixed the problem but I'm now wondering whether there's a way
that we can configure the Apache server to abort looping jobs in case we
ever get any more???

Regards

Michael Bailey

                      Mel Rothman

                      <mel@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      om>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [WEB400] Re: An
instance of QZSRCGI won't end after ENDTCPSVR
                      web400-bounces@mi

                      drange.com

                      01/07/2004 16:18

                      Please respond to

                      Web Enabling the

                      AS400 / iSeries

You might want to do some performance testing before changing your CGI
programs
to seton LR.  Personally, I wouldn't make that change.  I would continue to
try
to find out why some CGI jobs don't end in a timely manner.  Since the
problem
did not occur with the classic server over a long period of time, I, as you
do,
would suspect the powered by Apache server implementation.

Also, you mentioned that all PTFs are up to date.  However, there is a PTF
for
problem with persistent CGI jobs not ending properly (may or may not be
your
problem and you may or may not have it applied and you may or may not be
using
persistent CGI).  Here is the description from PTF SI10682 for V5R2
5722-DG1
(superseded by SE16064):

HTTPSVR Apache Persistent CGI Jobs Not Ending Correctly

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM FIXED FOR APAR SE12286 :
   When multiple persistent CGI programs are running, and a new
   persistent CGI program is called with a time out value that is
   shorter than all of the others, the call to the CGI appears to
   be hung.  An MCH3601 error is written to the job log, and a
   response is never returned back to the browser.

CORRECTION FOR APAR SE12286 :
-----------------------------
   A change was made to the code to handle the timer situation.

CIRCUMVENTION FOR APAR SE12286 :
--------------------------------
   If any CGI program is using the HTTimeout header value to set
   the time out value of the program, make sure it is longer than
   the default persistent CGI time out value being used by the HTTP
   server.  See the documentation for the PersistentCGITimeout
   directive for more information.

Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
Mel Rothman, Inc.

michael.bailey@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me Bob, I've been working with the AS/400
since
> it was first released and my first rule of support has always been to
> gather as much information as possible before cancelling a crashed app.
as

<web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>