> but how simple / hard is it to format template pages
> to be fed properly to the apis, how well does the
> substitution, row/column, looping schemes each one
> uses work in the real word, etc.

Rick,

Included with my remarks is source code for a program that supports
hierarchical menu navigation.   Menus may contain links to sub-menus as well
as links to program items.  Sub-menus may be nested up to ten (10) levels
deep.  The program illustrates a typical use of the Relational-Web API.

Relational-Web procedure calls replace "Field" markers embedded in an HTML
template, with program data coming from the database.  Simple "Record"
markers in HTML templates delimit relevant blocks of HTML.

<!RECORD:ONE>

* set pointer to record ONE

Callp wtnRecSet('ONE')

* insert something relevant into the output stream

Callp wtnFldSet('field':'Something relevant')

* send the HTML block to the browser

Callp wtnRecWrt('ONE')

My preference is to completely separate program logic from user interface
definition (HTML, XML, etc.).  This approach leads to readable code.

One final thought.  Notice the call to wtnOpen('MENU_HTML'), which loads one
or more HTML files into memory.  In this case 'MENU_HTML' is the name of a
source file member containing a list of stream files to read.

Nathan.

      *-----------------------------------------------------------------

      /COPY *LIBL/QRPGLESRC,RDWTNAPI#1
      /COPY *LIBL/QRPGLESRC,RDSTRAPI#1
      /COPY *LIBL/QRPGLESRC,MENUPROG#1
      /COPY *LIBL/QRPGLESRC,MENUDATA#1

      *-----------------------------------------------------------------

     D showMenu        PR
     D                               10A   Const

      *-----------------------------------------------------------------

     D sessDs        E DS                  Extname(menusess:menusessr)
     D                                     Import

      *-----------------------------------------------------------------

     D menuList      E DS                  Extname(aee100ms:aee100msr)
     D                                     Occurs(100) Import

      *-----------------------------------------------------------------

     D itemList      E DS                  Extname(aee100mi:aee100mir)
     D                                     Occurs(100) Import

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     D menuAry         S             10A   Dim(8) Based(menuArp)
     D menuArp         S               *   Inz(%addr(ss_mnu_ary))

     D i               S             10U 0
     D recordCt        S             10U 0

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     P initProgram     B                   Export

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Callp     initDataIO

     C                   Callp     wtnOpen('MENU_HTML')

     P initProgram     E

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     P endProgram      B                   Export

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Callp     endDataIO
     C                   Callp     wtnClose

     P endProgram      E

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     P menuTop         B                   Export

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Eval      ss_mnu_ndx = 1
     C                   Eval      menuAry(ss_mnu_ndx) = ss_mgrp

     C                   Callp     showMenu  (menuAry(ss_mnu_ndx))

     P menuTop         E

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     P selectMenu      B                   Export

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Eval      ss_mnu_ndx = strToInt(wtnQryGet('menu'))

     C                   If        ss_mnu_ndx < 1 or ss_mnu_ndx > 8
     C                   Eval      ss_mnu_ndx = 1
     C                   Endif

     C                   Callp     showMenu  (menuAry(ss_mnu_ndx))

     P selectMenu      E

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     P menuDetail      B                   Export

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   If        ss_mnu_ndx < 8
     C                   Eval      ss_mnu_ndx = ss_mnu_ndx + 1
     C                   Endif

     C                   Eval      menuAry(ss_mnu_ndx) = wtnQryGet('menu')

     C                   Callp     showMenu  (menuAry(ss_mnu_ndx))

     P menuDetail      E

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     P showMenu        B

      *-----------------------------------------------------------------

     D showMenu        PI
     D  menu                         10A   Const

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     D odd             S               N   Inz(*on)

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU01')

     C                   For       i = 1 to ss_mnu_ndx
     C                   Callp     wtnRecSet('MENU02')
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('menu':%char(i))
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('desc':getMenuDesc(
     C                              menuAry(i)))
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU02')
     C                   Endfor

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU03')

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Eval      recordCt = getSubMenus(menu)

     C                   If        recordCt > 0
     C                   Exsr      bldMenuList
     C                   Else
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU04')
     C                   Endif

     C                   Eval      recordCt = getMenuItems(menu)

     C                   If        recordCt > 0
     C                   Exsr      bldItemList
     C                   Endif

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU04')

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C     bldMenuList   Begsr

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU05')
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU06')

     C                   For       i = 1 to recordCt
     C     i             Occur     menuList
     C                   If        odd
     C                   Eval      odd = *off
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU07')
     C                   Callp     wtnRecSet('MENU08')
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('menu':%trimr(ms_menu))
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('desc':ms_desc)
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU08')
     C                   Else
     C                   Eval      odd = *on
     C                   Callp     wtnRecSet('MENU08')
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('menu':%trimr(ms_menu))
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('desc':ms_desc)
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU08')
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU09')
     C                   Endif
     C                   Endfor

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   If        not odd
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU09')
     C                   Endif

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU10')

     C                   Endsr

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C     bldItemList   Begsr

      * ----------------------------------------------------------------

     C                   Eval      odd = *on

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU05')
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU06')

     C                   For       i = 1 to recordCt
     C     i             Occur     itemList
     C                   If        odd
     C                   Eval      odd = *off
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU12')
     C                   Callp     wtnRecSet('MENU13')
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('des2':mi_desc)
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('des1':mi_desc)
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('type':mi_type)
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('item':%trimr(mi_item))
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU13')
     C                   Else
     C                   Eval      odd = *on
     C                   Callp     wtnRecSet('MENU13')
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('des2':mi_desc)
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('des1':mi_desc)
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('type':mi_type)
     C                   Callp     wtnFldSet('item':%trimr(mi_item))
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU13')
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU14')
     C                   Endif
     C                   Endfor

     C                   If        not odd
     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU14')
     C                   Endif

     C                   Callp     wtnRecWrt('MENU10')

     C                   Endsr

     P showMenu        E