From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Nathan M. Andelin
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 7:33 AM
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WEB400] Re: Portals

> I am convinced that portal servers are the key
> technology that will enable the next generation
> of killer applications for the iSeries.

Joe,

You may be introducing us to something significant!  If Web development
is
ever going to move past store fronts, and similarly modern, yet isolated
applications, and finally reach the point of robust integrated systems,
something like portals will be necessary.

It was nice to see screen shots and to test Razwin's site.  IBM's
implementation is DOG SLOW, but many of the user interface elements are
very
good!

One thing that I and my colleagues have really struggled with is coming
up
with UI models that could be applied across a broad range of
applications.
This has been my biggest bottleneck.  It would be great to have an
application container define standard styling and behavioral elements
that
might be replicated across applications running within the container.
It
looks like IBM may be on the right track with "theme" and "skin"
definitions.

User interface models, in turn lead to program models, offering patterns
that other developers might use to develop applications that integrate
with
the container, as well as with one another, via shared data structures
and
other components.

User based "Roles" is a key component to me.  One role might define a
test
environment while another role might define a production environment,
for
example, with the test environment pointing to one library list while
the
production environment points to another.  One role might provide access
certain menu options and authorities, while other roles provide access
others.  Even record level access in applications may be defined
according
to role.

It seems that IBM may have missed an opportunity in their implementation
have the container manage the state of individual portlets.  Minimizing
portlet, for example seems to refresh the entire container, and the
previous
state of the portlet seems to be lost.  It would be nice for users to be
able to swap between panels and portlets, without disrupting the state
of
other portlets or panels that may be active.

Thanks for an insightful introduction to portlals.  I've been working on
similar project, that we've been calling an Application Control Center,
and
it's nice to see an IBM implementation for reference.

Nathan.

solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed.   If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify the Administrator.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company.  Finally, the recipient should
check this e-mail and any attachment
 for the presence of viruses.   The company accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted
by this e-mail.

Jarir Bookstore
   .....not just a bookstore