Brad

Brad Stone wrote:

You could place JavaScript at the bottom of the web page
that will execute after everything is loaded (well, it
depends on how the browser handles it actually).

Many thanks. I have done this and it now works. I had put it there before I asked for help but left in the "onload" which I should have removed.

Maybe I don't understand... why do you want a pop-up to
display right away before the user goes over a hyperlink?

There can sometimes be 100 or rmore links in a page. Except when they are standard URL's to images or pages on other servers, these are internal links within my Neural Database rather than standard URL's. I use anchors with
href="#"
to persuade browsers to provide a point and click interface for data within my database which does not use URL's. The links can be ordinary data or individual words within text. If they are all displayed as underlined links, the page looks a mess, so I use
A:link
to display the links in a slightly brighter colour and
A:hover
to underline a link when a user does a mouse over.

Since the links are not underlined, I want to display a prompt to tell users to use the mouse. I had a comment from one user who thought that there were no links on the page as nothing was underlined! Dependent on his/her security, a user may be able to navigate a link, or update or delete or remove the record representing the link, or check the audit trail to see when it was added/updated, etc. and by whom. Alternatively, a user may be able to go down a level to find lower level data that is dependent on a relationship that he has already accessed. This might be a relationship with a relationship or independent data (such as a quantity or some text). The multi-dimensional database allows for 1 billion**2 levels of hierarchy with the same fixed length 28 byte keyfield for all records at all levels, but at any "lower" level, a user may still be able to navigate, change, etc.. There is no stored HTML as I generate HTML, javascript etc. as requests are made.

If I still haven't been able to make it clear, please ask me again.

Rob Dixon
www.erros.co.uk