> From: Mark Phippard
>
> I agree
> with some of what you say, and all I ever attempt to do is provide
people
> with an explanation of what Struts is.
>
> My main disagreement is that many of your statements seem to be based
on
> the Struts JSP tags, and they just are not what Struts is.

No harm, no foul.  Cubbies are still winning <grin>.

I know that Struts is not JSP, but whenever people extol the virtues of
Struts they seem inevitably to wander into the land of taglibs.  I don't
like taglibs, especially custom taglibs, because it's more crap I have
to make sure is installed correctly.  With pure JSP/servlet using
scriptlets, I don't have to worry about that.

Over the years, the biggest problems I have seen with using open source
packages is the incompatibilities from one release to the next (Xerces
used to be infamous for this).  So I'm Joe Enduser, and I have to not
only make sure I've downloaded the jar files, but also that they're the
correct VERSION of the jar files... anyway, I digress.

My point is that Struts is fine, but no silver bullet.  Nothing
extraordinary about it, it's a nice MVC implementation.  There are
others.  But to say that Struts is good and "not Struts" is bad just
goes against my grain.  Or to say vice versa, for that matter!

Joe