Hi Brad

Good to see you are still dealing in emotional responses and generalizations :)

When does something become "widely available"?  Does it
have to come from IBM, or a 3rd party, or a well-known
organization?  Or can it come from Aaron?  If it does, will
we support and his work him or would we rather direct
people to IBM or a big 3rd party vendor that we drink with
at COMMON every year?

When something like, for example, CPAN exists

That theory just don't hold water... sorry.  And if it
does, it's because of the lack of support of the little guy
and self-bashing in our group that we don't have those
types of libraries available.

It's not a theory. CPAN exists, I've used it.

Who wants to put forth the effort, make source available
only to have it criticized because:

Whatever. I didn't criticize anything, I pointed out a flaw in your comparison.

"Its only RPG" or
"You whould use DOW instead of DOU" or
"You should just use Perl anyway" or
Having no one contribute and everyone just "take take take"
and ask a million questions or
when someone asks for something no one points them to that
source, and instead point them to some other product or the
IBM manuals.

You are putting words into my mouth. I have no issue with people using RPG CGI, or anything on the AS/400, but some people want to use other stuff. Get over it.

This community and the Perl/Python community are two
complete different animals.  Each with the good points,
each with the bad.  They're not even comparable.

I did not compare the communities, I commented on your dismissal of Hans comment regarding "3 lines of code" and your misleading attempt to compare the ability to write functions with the actual existence and availability of those functions in other languages. You tried to imply that the ability to create the functions in RPG provided the same level of productivity and/or capability in the language as the fact that other languages have widely available function repositories where you can search and download an already existing function for a general business problem.

Knew I should have kept my mouth shut :)

Regards
Evan Harris