I'm going to regret this..... (feeling trolled)

>> Who cares what IBM thinks.  They give us the MAchine
>> and the OS.  They want you to use Java because it makes
>> them Money.

I do, for one.  My company relies on IBM technology; we get significant
advantage from using IBM's products and
services.  It's why I dumped IBM HTTP Classic server for Apache;  I don't want
to be caught with unsupported products.
My business demands I stay current and know the direction my vendor intends to
take.

Ok, how does IBM make $$$$ from me writing Java?  Seems like RPG-CGI is *more*
of a rip-off.  Does RPG-CGI run *outside*
the 400?  Seems like if I learn RPG-CGI and nothing else, I'm forever locked
into iSeries.  Doesn't IBM benefit *more*
from RPG-CGI than Java?

> 2)  BFD.  :)  Any hyped technology will show up more in search engines.

Java as hyped technology?  Someone should tell Microsoft.  They were so worried
about this "hyped-up" technology that
created a "java killer" (that's Microsoft's words in internal memos) called
(dot) Net.  Bill really blew that one; he
spend *all* that money to try to kill a hyped technology.  I bet Scott McNealy
is LHAO.  Imagine all those cable TV set
tops and cell phones with embedded java. 'Spose they think it's over-hyped?

FWIW... There is an elegance of columnar RPG.  With it's fixed column format
and limited instruction set, you can really
fly when you are coding.  RPG is a wonderful thing (for it's niche) but to use
it for web apps is (IMHO) like putting
lipstick on a pig; it doesn't really help much and just pisses off the pig.

*but* YMWV (that's "will" vary).  It's not a jihad.  It's a choice based on
preference, experience, and business
requirements.  It's all about professional choice.

>From Buck's post...

"If I write my requirements to meet my knowledge base, my requirements may not
be as strong as if I had written them to
meet my business needs."

"The point is that learning about the existence of other
tools/processes/technologies makes it possible to make
the best decisions for my business.  Limiting myself to RPG-only solutions
_may_ not always be the best course of
action.  Maybe learning some new thing will be the way to process, rather than
nudge RPG to do the task."

"It's not about CGI vs XML: each has a place.  It's about being careful not to
limit your options to what you know, but
to reach out and find new options.  Put all your options in the management
tradeoff blender and your ultimate decision
making process will be the better for it."

Man, I wish I had written that....  Nice job, Buck.... Great stuff...

... *sigh* and I'd still rather be served an RIAA summons than write RPG-CGI.
(gdr)

dan