From: Eyers, Daniel [mailto:daniel.eyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 2:28 PM
To: 'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: XML, RPG, Web Services, Joe = Holy War was ->RE: [WEB400]
Re : Modify the IE Browser

Aaron,

>> I would expect screw ups from younger punks like myself but for crying
out loud Joe,
>> you claim that you have worked for all of these companies and developed
all
>> of these great things but you posses very little qualities one would find
in
>> a refined leader.

>> Many of us respect your knowledge and we agree with a lot of what you
have
>> to say, but that is only part of the package.  Take a look at how the
likes
>> of Buck Calabro and Barbara Morris make their point and share their
>> knowledge.  They do it with an incredible amount of patience and through
>> reading many of their emails I have found their information to be very
sound
>> and  professional.  You will never find them teaching the masses with the
>> inappropriate methods you have chosen.  It is easy to learn from leaders
>> like that.

Two points... one no one said Joe has any kind of leadership responsibility.
I take him (and others) with a grain of
salt.   He and I agree much of the time but when I think he's wrong, I
either offer my take or don't worry about it.  To
quote Linus, sometimes, I think Joe's "smoking crack."  *And* I'm sure he
thinks I'm toking a bit, too.  That's what
makes horse races.  But I *don't* think Joe is the oracle (maybe more like
Agent Smith :-))

Secondly, you have a responsibilty to provide leadership as well.  You don't
get off the hook for your behavior by
calling yourself a "young punk."  In mail lists and news groups, one must
treat everyone as though they were very
sensitive and respond as if one has a very thick skin.  I learned that in
kindergarten.  It's good advice in life.

I will *never* use RPG-CGI.  Never.  Not even when *I'm* "smoking crack."
Never, never, never.  I'd rather go work for
SCO than write a single line of RPG-CGI.  I'll *never* ever, ever write RPG
in a web environment, whether it is an
AS/400, Linux, AIX, or any other platform I work on.  RPG is for green
screen only. Period.  Don't care if it's the
greatest thing ever.  I'm not going to do it.  It's an abomination that IBM
should have killed at birth.  My apologies
to the folks at IBM who wrote it but I'd rather get eaten by scarabs after
been mummified alive.  *And then* go to work
for SCO.  (small attempt at humor)

Having said that, you are free to do what ever you want.  Any solution that
includes RPG-CGI for me is a bad one.  But
don't let that stop you.  You have to do what you think is right for your
business and Joe (and, for that matter, me)
don't have anything to do with it.

Me, I'd rather run JSP and EJBs (as web services) off of the AS/400 running
WAS, but that's just me

dan