<Joe>
And I have no problem in general with using web services, if it fits
your business goals.  My problem is when a new technology comes out and
programmers start saying you're out of date if you don't use it.  My
point to Aaron was (and is) that design should not be technology-driven.

Design your application to fit your business goal, then select the
technologies that get you there most efficiently.  The tricky bit is
trying to determine which technologies will be around next week, which
is why it's generally a good idea to let a new technology mellow out for
a year or two before jumping on the bandwagon.
</Joe>

Why are you shooting holes in me if you know nothing of my business goals?
Do I need to tell you my whole companies history with technology before I
take a stand on what might be a better thing than the next?  I am going to
assume that you know XML did not come out two years ago, and I am going to
assume that you know it was derived from other fairly old technologies that
needed a face lift, and based on that I don't understand why I am getting so
much flak for bringing up what I did?

Here is a history of XML just so others can reference it:
http://www.w3.org/XML/hist2002 http://www.isgmlug.org/history.html

Java hasn't been around all that much longer than XML, does that make it a
bad decision to go to?  No.
http://java.sun.com/features/1998/05/birthday.html

"Web Services" : http://www.w3.org/2003/Talks/0618-hh-wschk/slide11-0.html
There have been over three years of development done on this.  That is not a
flash in the pan.

Where am I out of line?

Aaron Bartell