We have recently acquired a new multi-partition iSeries. We use one partition
for our development and we plan on using the other two partitions for the
following:

Partion 2 - Production web serving
Partion 3 - Firewall

Now, in my mind, I'm thinking that wasting a whole partition on a firewall is
beyond stupid, but....that was an executive decision so there ya go. And
anyway, it may be a great idea and I'm just too ignorant to see it.  That's
always a possibility. :-)

In any event....we had designed a web-based system using RPGIV and CGI, mostly
because we already had some other software using a similar technique so
"time-to-go-live" was greatly reduced, but primarily because if I'd written it
as JSP's or servlets (I was wanting to do it as JSPs) then no one but me would
ever know how to maintain it.  SO as an RPGIV/CGI application, our traditional
RPG programmers could work on it if they had to.

So...that's the preamble...here's teh question:

The powers that be want to use the third partition on this new iSeries as both
a firewall and as the HTTP server for the application. Now, if I were using
JSPs, it would be a simple matter of serving up the JSPs from wherever they
reside to the HTTP serving box on the third partition.

However, since we are talking RPGIV and CGI...I'm not really clear on if it is
even possible to store the CGI programs on one partition and serve them up via
an HTTP Server on another partition?  Is it?   I would try this myself but at
this point, we do not yet have the third partition running (it's missing some
hardware that got left out of the original configuration).  So...I'm trying to
get a handle on it, get my wits about it, to understand if running an HTTP
server on the 3rd partition would even be able to see the CGI programs and
files on the 2nd partition.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Shannon O'Donnell